State of Missouri Qualifications
- Be a registered voter (you can register anytime prior to working)
- Be able to speak, read, and write English
- Not appear on the current ballot or have a close relative appear on the current ballot
- Not hold elective office at the time of service as a poll worker
Callaway County Qualifications
Attendance and Punctuality – Election Day: polls open at 6:00 a.m. and close at 7:00 p.m.
- Attend training sessions provided and participate in exercises.
- Judges must be at the polls no later than 5:30 a.m. and earlier in big turnout elections (to be determined by the team of election judges). After 7:00 p.m. polls are closed and all of the teams must stay and assist in closing procedures.
- Election Judges may take a one-hour break during the day between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (schedule with election day team and ensure bipartisan representation at the polls during the absence) RSMo 115.097.
- Supervisory Judges shall be responsible for the return of election supplies from the polling place to the election authority and have any additional duties as prescribed by the election authority RSMo 115.081.
- Election Judges must be able to work well with fellow team members and share in the responsibility for the operation of the polling place. Willingness to work with persons you are not acquainted with but striving for the same purpose of executing a successful election day.
- Follow the “Golden Rule” treat others the way you want to be treated; stay positive, offer assistance, listen to what others are saying to effectively resolve issues with coworkers and provide the voter the right to vote.
Willingness to learn
- As we have experienced over the last four years Elections are always changing, equipment more advanced in technology, added security procedures, new processes at the polls. We need people willing to be trained on how to operate the equipment properly, committed to following suggested Election Day practices. Ensure the protection of counting the votes and voter registration eligibility on Election Day.
- Be conscientious about accuracy and compliance of the election laws and a commitment to do your best to follow our instruction. This job is about providing our local citizens, neighbors and friends, the voters, a right to cast a ballot for the candidates or issues of their choice with their privacy being protected at the polls.